Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Where in the world?...

Without a doubt the thing my fiance and I have collectively enjoyed planning the most, has been the honeymoon. I am pretty sure listening to me describe the centerpieces was a close second for him though. No? Ok, maybe not.

So we have this big huge party with everyone we love, and then we get to go on a big trip. How cool is that? We started talking honeymoon pretty early in our engagement, although unless you're planning a trip to Long Island, you can't really do it that far in advance. That's ok though, because it gave us plenty of times to research and change our minds (a lot).

So where to go? Whenever we take a trip, I always take it as a personal challenge to go somewhere that Ryan has never been. Anyone that knows him will understand how tough of a challenge this is. He has been everywhere! Seriously, how many people's fiances have lived in Korea for a year and stopped in China and Thailand for fun? So yeah, it is always my personal mission for him to not have "been there, done that".

The first step was to figure out what kind of honeymoon we wanted to take, to narrow it down.

One of the first things that narrowed it down were our free flights! I am marrying the king of credit card rewards, and so most flights for us, with the points, would be free. This has helped us exponentially, we would not be taking as nice of a trip as we are if not for these flights. So we had to pick somewhere that had flights with our carrier. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Can we talk about Europe for a second? Of course we can, I'm writing this. I felt very pressured to "want" to go to Europe for our honeymoon because Europe is so pretty and great and "European". We threw around the idea of going country hopping in Europe, or just spending a week in one country. But we were both very iffy about it. But still I felt as if, if I didn't get to Europe, I would be lacking some kind of experience that I should have.

It wasn't until we went to Florida, and visited my Godmother, who has worked in the travel industry for years and has been even more places than Ryan, figured it out for me in 3 words:

"Europe is overrated"

And all of a sudden I exhaled. She hit it on the nose for us. I'm sure many people love to go see tourist attractions and speak to people who think we're stupid, but we do not. We have actually not gone places because we thought they'd be too "touristy".  When I think of all the places Ryan and I have traveled, it basically boils down to warm weather, beaches, gambling and drinks.

So we decided, we want to be doing what we love to do on our honeymoon.


We love love love relaxing somewhere tropical. What better way to unwind from the most overwhelming 17 months of our lives?


Apparently there are a ton of countries with beautiful beaches, so we had our work cut out for us. I'd review the places we considered and the place we chose, but I want to go to bed, to be honest. Come back for part 2!

What was your favorite vacation spot and why???

No comments:

Post a Comment